Andriyivsky Descent (Andriyivsky Uzviz) – an ancient Kyiv street, also called as Montmartre of Kyiv. Here, in the open air, you can buy paintings, jewelry, dishes, wooden items, clothes, medals, coins and souvenirs.
As you stroll down the street, pay attention to many interesting things!
One Street Museum has been in operation for over 30 years. There are hundreds of authentic antiques – books, paintings, pieces of furniture and clothing, photographs and documents related to the street and its famous residents.
Museum of Ivan Kavaleridze – outstanding Ukrainian sculptor, film director and playwright. It was he who created the sculptures of Yaroslav the Wise, Princess Olga, and Grygory Skovoroda. By the way, the sculpture of Princess Olga on Mykhailivska square Square is a modern version.
The original work of Kavaleridze were broken in 1911, and now the remains are near the museum. Nearby is also a model of the monument to Yaroslav the Wise (1949) and the sculpture of Taras Shevchenko (1919).
Museum of Mikhail Bulgakov, the famous writer who was born in Kyiv. His last address in Kyiv, where he lived with his family, was 13 Andriyivskyy Descent. The author recalls this house, which has become a museum, in his novel The White Guard. Later a monument to Bulgakov was erected near the museum.
There are other monuments on the street:
There are two theaters on the descent that have been operating for 35 years. The small Theater Koleso and the Theater on Podil, which recently received a new modern building for its work.
Castle of Richard the Lionheart. At the beginning of the twentieth century the building was home to famous artists and scientists, the magazine office worked there, and later the apartments were turned into communal apartments. In recent years it is being reconstructed.
And the pearl of the street – St. Andrew's Church, its construction was completed May 27, 1753. The architect Francesco Bartolomeo Rastrelli created it in memory of Empress Elizabeth visit to Kyiv. Now St. Andrew's Church is part of the Sofia Kyivska National Reserve, and in 2018 it was donated to the Ecumenical Patriarchate. However, everyone can visit both the church and the observation deck near it, which offers beautiful views of the city.